Volunteer Crisis Responder
Victim Services Peterborough and Northumberland relies on the assistance of community volunteers in responding to the emotional and practical needs of individuals who have experienced a crime or tragic circumstance.
Volunteer Victim Services Crisis Responders provide immediate and onsite direct service to individuals with the intent to help lessen the impact of victimization. This may include: supportive listening, helping a person to prioritize needs, providing accompaniment to an emergency shelter or hospital, making phone calls or helping to secure the premises. Volunteer Crisis Responders also ensure that information about community agencies and service providers including long-term services is made to victims.
Volunteer Crisis Responders have an opportunity to:
- Be there for someone in a time of crisis
- Offer a safe and comforting presence
- Provide practical assistance
- Learn more about resources in the community
- Assist police and emergency personnel by ensuring that the person’s emotional and practical needs are being met so they can focus on their other front-line duties
- Gain crisis intervention skills
- Be a part of a dedicated team in your community that is making a difference!
Orientation & Training
All Victim Services Volunteer Crisis Responder applicants must complete the Victim Services training. The training will help you prepare for the complex situations you may encounter in your volunteer work with Victim Services. Training is participatory and includes handouts, community agency presentations, group discussions, videos and role-play activities.
For more information on becoming a Volunteer Victim Services Crisis Responder:
- Call 705-748-0324 or toll-free at 1-888-822-7729
- Send an email inquiry to
- Click here to volunteer with VSPN
New Members to the Board of Directors for Victim Services of Peterborough and Northumberland.
*The VSPN Board of Directors is currently seeking to fill two (2) vacancies. If you have experience in law and/or finance, please contact the office at 705-748-0324.
- Do you want the fulfillment of making a difference in your community by volunteering at a Board level?
- Do you have leadership and strategic thinking skills that could benefit a non-profit, charitable, community based organization?
- Do you have progressive work experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Not-for-Profit Sector
- Marketing; Advertising
- Human Resources
- Legal Affairs
- Emergency Services
- Fund Raising
- Mental Health & Wellness
Joining our volunteer Board of Directors at Victim Services of Peterbrorough and Northumberland may be the perfect opportunity for you.
Victim Services of Peterborough and Northumberland is a non-profit, charitable, community based organization working in partnership with Police and Fire Services. Its mandate is to meet the short-term needs of persons victimized by crime or tragic circumstance by providing emotional support, practical assistance, and referrals to community resources for continued support.
Victim Services of Peterborough and Northumberland is looking for new Board Membership to support the agency in meeting its mission and mandate through an established Board Governance Policy Model.
Board Member Role Description
To support Victim Services of Peterborough and Northumberland in meeting its mission and mandate through an established Governance Policy and Procedure Model.
- Resident of/ or Employed in Peterborough or Northumberland
- 21 Years of age or older
- Consented to a Security Clearance Investigation or Criminal Record Screening
- Provide at least 3 references
- Must attend a personal interview with the VSPN Board screening panel
- Attend all required Board Meetings
- Participate in designated agency functions
- At least 2 years since any personal traumas
If interested in joining this dynamic group of committed volunteers please contact the Board Chair at (705) 748-0324 for further details or fill out the application below and send to firstname.lastname@example.org.